Build a Better Blog.

I have been planning a little bit of a blog makeover lately and I love just playing with the design of it.  Design is so incredibly important in making a blog, because it's what people first see and it's sort of like the first impression. Whether you are a designer or not- all the time you spend plotting and planning the design of your blog- it's all worth it.  There are also lot of free templates- that you can tweak and make your vision come to life.  Having a blog has made me really embrace learning graphic design and enhancing my photography skills.  Here are some easy tips to help create a better visual design for your blog.


In one of the side bars and at the top of the blog have a picture of yourself with a brief intro about your blog. I am a little camera shy especially when it comes to having me in the photos. I have always preferred being behind the camera or behind the paint brush. :) If you put your picture on your blog it helps people connect to you.


Blog with pictures. You don't have to have a ton of pictures but have a pictures while posting.  If you aren't a photographer then use an image and source it.  A picture can only enhances whatever story you are trying to tell- give some eye candy!  

Don't be afraid to make your photos large in your blog post.  On my blog I make the picture align with my text you don't have to do this.. but make your photo large enough for everyone to see.  I love a big picture- well it doesn't have to be huge just big enough. :)

Have a killer blog header.  I have gone through maybe a dozen headers since I started blogging and have been thinking about new ideas for it. Your blogger header is what people first see- your prime real estate. I had a friend who is a photographer take this one for me and we did a photo shoot and I bought him lunch. Don't be afraid to ask a friend for help or offer an easy trade. :) I think you will surprise yourself how your friends will help you.

You can use a fun fonts for your blog but the text of your posts- it should be a clean font like a sans serif. Sans Serif's are fonts that are really clear and crisp- for the real definition click here.   :) San Serifs are easier to read- and easier for your message to get across.

23 comments

Unknown said...

I love this post! I redesigned my blog two weekends ago after being inspired to redesign my business card. I wanted to create a streamlined branding from my Etsy shop, by business cards, and my blog. I like think I achieved that!

STYLE'N said...

Excellent tips and advice :) And I agree-larger photos are much easier to see! (also thanks for visiting my blog)

Unknown said...

i would add, make the pics large in visual size but SMALL in file size. saves everyone's bandwidth and download time. ;)

Anonymous said...

This is great advice. I'm getting bored with how my blog looks so I may just redesign it soon. :)

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Such great tips! I totally agree with having a picture of yourself on your blog..I think people want to know that its not a creepy 50 year old man behind the blog lol!

Unknown said...

i think I'm addicted to revamping my blog!

San said...

Great tips! I especially agree about the blog header, big pictures and CLEAN FONT... OMG! Just don't use a custom handwriting font for your posts - it's annoying to read!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you say, especially the large pics...I hate blogs with small photos!

kat @ withachanceof said...

Great great great post! Thank you!!!

Sarah said...

I couldn't agree more with you. Such a great and useful post. Thanks so much for taking the time to share these helpful tips =) Oh and I love the pug as always. Keeps those pics coming!

BTW I'm guest posting about mommy fashion over at The Short and the Sweet of It this morning. You should stop by if you get a second =)

- Sarah
http://www.theshortandthesweetofit.com/2011/10/guest-post-sarah-from-girl-in-transit.html

Heather Marie said...

This was a great post. I always love reading about ways to better my blog.

Sub Radar (Mike) said...

The perfect header is an elusive beast... I like to keep mine minimal.

Anonymous said...

great tips - totally agreed!

Unknown said...

Such good advice :)

kimbirdy said...

all fantastic tips! i'm currently switching my blog over to wordpress and i'm doing a total re-design. it feels so good to clean everything up and make it as attractive and easy to read as possible. i can't wait till it's finished and i can unveil it to the world! :)

the southern hostess said...

Great advice! I'm desperate to spruce up my blog these days.

Jillian said...

I 100% agree with your tips! I love a blog with tons of quality photos and simple fonts. It's just easier on the eyes, you know? And the header is definitely an important one. It's the first thing that people see...those first impressions are key!

Rose Clearfield said...

This is an awesome post for any blogger! Thanks for all of the great advice. I am camera shy as well, but I should have more pictures of myself on my blog.

Angela said...

All fantastic tips!

Rach said...

Agree with all of this advice, especially the large pictures! I hate when pictures are so small that you can barely see anything. I've been itching to switch up my design a bit but haven't had much time...I'm a bit challenged when it comes to working with HTML so it takes me forever!

Mandy Crandell said...

All great points! If a blog doesn't have photos, it's so hard for me to get into.

http://mandycrandell.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MandyCrandell

Courtney said...

camera shy? but you are gorgeous!!! i have a lot of fun with blog design (even though my blog is really very simple).

Ali said...

This was a great post i really like it...
Business Gift Cards